Extra Credit: TJ Ciaravino ‘95 presentation on “E-Commerce: The Future of Marketing.”
- Ciaravino discussed that the most difficult aspect of determining which platform to market WorldWide Sport Supply’s online business is determining where their target audience is and the most effective way to market on that specific platform.
- It is important to keep up with social trends because some social media platforms that were very popular last year may not be as popular this year (i.e. Facebook and Snapchat).
- Third parties have added great value to the company and have helped create the company’s new website, which has changed drastically over the last 10 years.
- ex. Bronto- email service provider. It can keep customers engaged with the brand by tracking whether or not they are opening their emails. If a customer does not open the first email, they will send another email a few days later with a better offer to encourage customers to make a purchase.
- ex. online chat- if a customer is on the website but has not clicked anything within 30 seconds (for example), a live chat will pop up asking if the customer needs any assistance in navigating the site
- ex Commission Junction- is an affiliate program that helps more customers by collecting coupons from Worldwide Sport Supply and pushing them to popular coupon sites such as RetailMeNot
- Signing on with Amazon is a double edged sword because they provided Worldwide Sport Supply with 10% of their revenue, but Amazon customers do not become their customers
- The best way to have an edge on Amazon is to sell them customized products, so you don’t have to worry about competitors taking potential customers
- Now, 50% of web traffic comes from mobile devices and so the company has to improve on its social media platforms that are available on mobile devices
Take Home Advice
- learn how to use Google Analytics
- read- keep up with business news and current trends
- keep educating yourself